Saturday, August 11, 2007

so here's what it's about...

I have never played Pool of Radiance. I'm a fool for video games, but for whatever reason, in the 80s I played through most of the Ultima series, but I never played one minute of the SSI Gold Box series even though many friends have told me it's totally the good stuff.

So... I've decided to play through the Gold Box series knowing little more than that they're supposed to be really great games. Hopefully I can make it through without any outside resources and hopefully, the journey will yield enough commentary to make an interesting blog out of it. That shouldn't be a problem, though. If I have an exceptionally lame time, my discouragement may make a wonderful read.

My plan is to go ahead and start with Pool of Radiance and, once finished, move on to Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness. I'll detail the journey with commentary, my own questions, screen grabs, maps and notes. No doubt I'll be consulting online resources for context and history, but I hope to not use the internet for spoilers.

Please, whether or not you've ever played or even like games like this, I'd love to hear comments from you!

No comments: